How We Shall Resist – Monday, January 16
(If you wish to volunteer to help on the day, please email email@example.com or call 413-584-8975!)
On MLK Day this year – Monday, January 16 – the American Friends Service Committee will hold our 33rd Annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Celebration with events to last through the entire day. The theme of this year’s program will be “We Shall Resist” and will feature events from 9 a.m. through 8 p.m. in Northampton. As usual, all events will be free and open to the public.
- At 9am, the day begins with the “Sojourner Truth Walking Tour” of Florence, passing by many houses from the Underground Railroad and other historical sites. The tour is lead by Steve Strimer from the David Ruggles Center, and will start from the Sojourner Truth Memorial Statue at the intersection of Park and Pine Street in Florence.
- At 10 a.m., Dr. Ousmane Power-Greene will be hosting the annual community “Children’s MLK Jr. Celebration” at Jackson Street Elementary School (at 120 Jackson St in Northampton.)
- Tabling for organizations, schedules and maps for all the workshops, and “Black Lives Matters” and “Good Neighbor” yard signs will also be available from 12 noon onwards at Edwards Church.
- From 1pm to 5pm, a number of workshops will take place in various locations around downtown Northampton – from a workshop on Standing Rock and the activism around that struggle to a film on U.S. imperialism with long-standing activist Frances Crowe. A full and updated schedule of the workshops can be found at the AFSC website at http://afscwm.org (and will be available at Edwards Church on the day.)
- The day will conclude at 6pm at First Churches (129 Main Street) with a MLK Sing-a-long Celebration, featuring Evelyn Harris and a number of choruses from around the Pioneer Valley
Day’s schedule at a glance:
9am: Sojourner Truth Walking Tour (with Steve Strimer of the Ruggles Center)
Sojourner Truth Memorial Statue
Park and Pine Streets, Florence
10am: Children’s MLK Jr. Celebration (with Dr. Ousmane Power-Greene)
Jackson Street School
120 Jackson St, Northampton
12-5pm: Informational Tabling
297 Main St, Northampton
1pm – 5pm: Workshops
Various locations at Edwards Church, First Churches, the Unitarian Universalist Society, Northampton Friends Meeting
6pm: MLK Sing-a-long Celebration (with Evelyn Harris and more)
129 Main Street, Northampton