Disaster Assistance

Dear Sisters and Brothers,

The following information is being sent to our members who may have sustained loses from Wednesday’s devastating tornado. We also ask that if anyone knows of others who could use this information they pass it on.

While we know with certainly that we have had members sustain personal and professional loses we have not had many contact us. As an example the main offices and the daycare of Square One located on Main Street in Springfield were so severely damaged the facility is closed and is probably going to be razed, putting a number of our members out of work. We have also had some reports that members have lost their housing or cars.

If any members need help finding services we ask that you please contact us at ron@uaw2322.org or 413-534-7600 (my extension is #1).  If you do not reach someone directly please be sure to leave your contact information including a cell phone if possible.

Ronald Patenaude, President UAW 2322

Assistance for Survivors of the Tornado


Visit the Commonwealth of MA’s command center at the Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA) office located at 95 Liberty St, Springfield. Or call 413-858-1000.


FEMA provides assistance with housing needs and non-housing needs.

Money is available to rent temporary housing, to repair damage to primary residences that is not covered by insurance, and to replace a primary residence destroyed by the disaster that is not covered by insurance.

Money is also available to mitigate serious needs caused by the disaster. Assistance with medical and dental costs, funeral and burial costs, clothing, tools, heating fuel, clean-up items, vehicle repair, and moving and storage expenses associated with the disaster may be available.

For more information call 1-800-621-3362 (TTY 1-800-462-7585)


…provides unemployment benefits to individuals who have become unemployed as a result of a presidentially-declared major disaster.

Self-employed persons who cannot work as a result of the disaster can also apply for benefits.

For more information call 1-877-872-5627 (TTY 1-877-889-5627)


…is a food assistance program specifically for disaster survivors following a presidentially-declared disaster.

The D-SNAP system operates under a different set of eligibility and benefit delivery requirements than the regular Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). Those who may not ordinarily qualify for SNAP may be eligible for D-SNAP, as the D-SNAP eligibility requirements take into account a household’s out-of-pocket disaster-related expenses and count only take-home pay and accessible liquid resources.

For more information call 1-866-950-3663


… provides legal assistance to low-income individuals who, prior to or as a result of a disaster, are unable to secure legal services adequate to meet their disaster-related needs.
Local lawyers typically provide assistance such as: help with insurance claims for doctor and hospital bills, loss of property, loss of life, etc.; drawing up new wills, powers of attorney and other legal documents lost during the disaster; help with home repair contracts and contractors; advice on problems with landlords.
For more information call 1-800-621-3362 (TTY 1-800-462-7585)


…may allow you to deduct disaster-related losses from your prior year’s tax return. Filing an amended return may allow you to receive an immediate tax refund.
For more information, visit www.irs.gov or speak to a tax professional.

Comments are closed.